Legal Consultancy, Training & Legislative Advocacy
Our law Firm’s different work in this respect include the following: –
• Acted as Consultants to write position papers submitted to the National Assembly, by the Association of Bonded Terminal Operators on Ports Act (amendment) Bill, Ports & Harbour Authorities Bill and their marginalization by concessionaires.
• Presented to the National Assembly a “Bill for an Act to Amend the Maritime Operations Co-ordinating Board Act, Cap M4, LFN, 2004” and a “Bill for an Act to amend the NIMASA Act”.
• Acting as legal consultants for enterprises, organizations and government agencies in different areas of its practice, particularly to the erstwhile National Maritime Authority on Cabotage Services and the Federal Ministry of Transport that reviewed the Cabotage Bill passed by the House of Representatives.
• Organising or and acting as resource persons at, seminars and workshops for the training and capacity building of clients’ staff and the sensitisation of the stakeholders and the general public on the activities, functions and work of clients.
• Trained the staff of the International Energy Insurance Company Plc. in Lagos, Abuja and Port Harcourt, on the insurance and financial opportunities available under the Cabotage Act and its Guidelines.
• Trained the staff of the National Maritime Authority on Cabotage and Maritime Capacity Enhancement at a workshop organized by the Firm.
• Trained the staff of the Nigerian Shippers Council and some international oil companies, including the Shell Petroleum Development Company Limited, on certain aspects of maritime law.
• Legislative and public sensitisation and advocacy for the National Maritime Authority and the Federal Ministry of Transport on Nigerian Maritime Cabotage Policy and Act, the merger of Nigerian Maritime Authority (NMA) with the Joint Maritime Labour Industrial Council (JOMALIC), to form the Nigerian Maritime Administration and Safety Agency (NIMASA); and also on the Piracy and Unlawful Acts at Sea and other related offences Bill.
• Drafted a “Bill on Piracy and Unlawful Acts at Sea and other related offences”, at the instance of NIMASA and worked towards its being passed into an Act.
• Participated in the public hearing for the amendment of the ICAN Act held by the House of Representatives and worked assiduously for the passing of the proposed amendment to the said Act.
• Advised and represented port concessionaires/operators at public hearings in respect of some Bills affecting their interests.